A quote from one of my all time favorite series of books… “A towel, [the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.” It’s a damn good thing for a disc golfer too.
I’m blown away by how many people don’t carry a towel. For the record, I don’t mean these microfiber washcloths I see a lot of people carrying. Those make a great magnet for leaves and twigs, but they are almost worthless on the disc golf course. I mean an actual towel. Hand towel size or larger.
Since I started carrying an actual honest to goodness towel, I can’t tell you how many different ways it has come in handy. So instead, I’ll start you off with a quick ten:
- It’s good for keeping your discs dry if it rains for more than 5 minutes. Those little ones are toast after drying one disc.
- You can use one side to clean off your discs and keep the other side clean for wiping off your face (and in my case your big bald head).
- You can soak it in water and wrap it around your neck or drape it over your head on really hot days.
- You can play tug of war with your dog with it.
- You can fold it up and use it as a knee pad when throwing from your knee(s).
- You can use it as a short rope to help someone get out of a ravine/gully (I’ve done this several times).
- You can tie it around an arm or leg to temporarily bandage a large cut.
- You can put ice in it to ice down a sprained ankle or bee sting.
- You can lay it down and sit or lay on it when you need a quick break.
- It’s big enough to loan to others in your group because none of them ever bring a towel.
I really could go on for quite some time. You will never know how useful it is to carry a real towel until you start doing it. Go to WalMart, Target, or you local dollar store today. They aren’t expensive and if you end up getting picked up by a Vogon construction ship right before they destroy the Earth, you’ll be ready for your next adventure as an intergalactic hitchhiker!
Something else you need, besides a towel, is the Mind Body Disc weekly newsletter! Enter your email below or I’ll sic the Vogons on you![wysija_form id=”1″]